I have been privileged enough to grow up and evolve in a very
close, very open-mined community and was never really exposed to homophobic
conditions for any notable amount of time. It is not to say that there were, of
course, those isolated incidents that were so happenstance that I am unable to
recall them. Due to this bittersweet situation, I have always struggled to
build a deep personal connection to this subject.
About six weeks ago was the night that my roommates finally
convinced me to go with them to Spider House for a poetry slam (something they
beg me to attend every week). The third poet took the stage. “I am the new and
improved Scott, that will now go by the name: Ebony,” she said. Ebony gave a
slam that sent chills down my spine. Her poem was directed at “homophobic
haters,” something that I am not, yet somehow made me feel shame. Her poem
revolved around “love” and there were two particular quotes that instilled
themselves in my mind. The first one, “Experience will slaughter ignorance,” is
referencing falling in love. The second, “We all have a reason to be here but
its better to be someone else’s reason to stay,” references how when the entire
world seemingly rejected her, enough for Ebony to want to take her own life,
another woman’s love and need for her (Ebony) gave her the strength and courage
to “rise above the hatred.”
I do not know if attending the poetry slam
that night was an act of fate, fluke, or nothing of the sort, but any way you
cut it, it somehow gave me that personal connection that I was so desperately
searching for.
I respect your bravery to post something this personal. I think it can be very hard to relate to something or even think about it when we have no personal experience with the subject. I'm glad you enjoyed your first slam poetry event!
ReplyDelete